msgmerge - merge message catalog and template
msgmerge [OPTION] def.po ref.pot
Merges two Uniforum style .po files together. The def.po file is an existing PO file with translations which will be taken over to the newly created file as long as they still match; comments will be preserved, but extracted comments and file positions will be discarded. The ref.pot file is the last created PO file with up-to-date source references but old translations, or a PO Template file (generally created by xgettext); any translations or comments in the file will be discarded, however dot comments and file positions will be preserved. Where an exact match cannot be found, fuzzy matching is used to produce better results.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -U, --update
- update def.po, do nothing if def.po already up to date
- -o, --output-file=FILE
- write output to specified file
The results are written to standard output if no output file is specified or if it is -.
Output file location in update mode: The result is written back to def.po.
The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values:
- none, off
- never make backups (even if --backup is given)
- numbered, t
- make numbered backups
- existing, nil
- numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise
- simple, never
- always make simple backups
The backup suffix is '~', unless set with --suffix or the SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX environment variable.
- set 'Language' field in the header entry
- use colors and other text attributes always
- use colors and other text attributes if WHEN. WHEN may be 'always', 'never', 'auto', or 'html'.
- specify CSS style rule file for --color
- -e, --no-escape
- do not use C escapes in output (default)
- -E, --escape
- use C escapes in output, no extended chars
- write PO file even if empty
- -i, --indent
- indented output style
- suppress '#: filename:line' lines
- -n, --add-location
- preserve '#: filename:line' lines (default)
- strict Uniforum output style
- -p, --properties-output
- write out a Java .properties file
- write out a NeXTstep/GNUstep .strings file
- -w, --width=NUMBER
- set output page width
- do not break long message lines, longer than the output page width, into several lines
- -s, --sort-output
- generate sorted output
- -F, --sort-by-file
- sort output by file location
Written by Peter Miller.
Report bugs in the bug tracker at https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gettext or by email to <email@example.com>.
Copyright © 1995-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation for msgmerge is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and msgmerge programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info msgmerge
should give you access to the complete manual.
|July 2020||GNU gettext-tools 20200704|