chgrp - change group ownership
chgrp [OPTION]... GROUP FILE...
chgrp [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE...
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP. With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE.
- -c, --changes
- like verbose but report only when a change is made
- -f, --silent, --quiet
- suppress most error messages
- -v, --verbose
- output a diagnostic for every file processed
- affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself
- -h, --no-dereference
- affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink)
- do not treat '/' specially (the default)
- fail to operate recursively on '/'
- use RFILE's group rather than specifying a GROUP value
- -R, --recursive
- operate on files and directories recursively
The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect.
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering.
Copyright © 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License
GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) chgrp invocation'
|September 2021||GNU coreutils 9.0|