- -s, --symlink
- Do not rename a symlink but its target.
- -v, --verbose
- Show which files were renamed, if any.
- -n, --no-act
- Do not make any changes; add --verbose to see what would be made.
- -o, --no-overwrite
- Do not overwrite existing files. When --symlink is active, do not overwrite symlinks pointing to existing targets.
- -i, --interactive
- Ask before overwriting existing files.
- -V, --version
- Display version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Display help text and exit.
sh -c 'stty -icanon min 1; "$0" "$@"; stty icanon' rename -i from to files
- all requested rename operations were successful
- all rename operations failed
- some rename operations failed
- nothing was renamed
- unanticipated error occurred
rename foo foo00 foo? rename foo foo0 foo??
will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278. And
rename .htm .html *.htm
will fix the extension of your html files. Provide an empty string for shortening:
rename '_with_long_name' '' file_with_long_name.*
will remove the substring in the filenames.