openssl-speed - test library performance
openssl speed [-help] [-elapsed] [-evp algo] [-hmac algo] [-cmac algo] [-mb] [-aead] [-multi num] [-async_jobs num] [-misalign num] [-decrypt] [-primes num] [-seconds num] [-bytes num] [-mr] [-rand files] [-writerand file] [-engine id] [-provider name] [-provider-path path] [-propquery propq] [algorithm ...]
This command is used to test the performance of cryptographic algorithms.
- Print out a usage message.
- When calculating operations- or bytes-per-second, use wall-clock time instead of CPU user time as divisor. It can be useful when testing speed of hardware engines.
- -evp algo
- Use the specified cipher or message digest algorithm via the EVP
interface. If algo is an AEAD cipher, then you can pass
-aead to benchmark a TLS-like sequence. And if algo is a
multi-buffer capable cipher, e.g. aes-128-cbc-hmac-sha1, then -mb
will time multi-buffer operation.
To see the algorithms supported with this option, use "openssl list -digest-algorithms" or "openssl list -cipher-algorithms" command.
- -multi num
- Run multiple operations in parallel.
- -async_jobs num
- Enable async mode and start specified number of jobs.
- -misalign num
- Misalign the buffers by the specified number of bytes.
- -hmac digest
- Time the HMAC algorithm using the specified message digest.
- -cmac cipher
- Time the CMAC algorithm using the specified cipher e.g. "openssl speed -cmac aes128".
- Time the decryption instead of encryption. Affects only the EVP testing.
- Enable multi-block mode on EVP-named cipher.
- Benchmark EVP-named AEAD cipher in TLS-like sequence.
- -primes num
- Generate a num-prime RSA key and use it to run the benchmarks. This option is only effective if RSA algorithm is specified to test.
- -seconds num
- Run benchmarks for num seconds.
- -bytes num
- Run benchmarks on num-byte buffers. Affects ciphers, digests and the CSPRNG. The limit on the size of the buffer is INT_MAX - 64 bytes, which for a 32-bit int would be 2147483583 bytes.
- Produce the summary in a mechanical, machine-readable, format.
- -rand files, -writerand file
- See "Random State Options" in openssl(1) for details.
- -engine id
- See "Engine Options" in openssl(1). This option is deprecated.
- -provider name
- -provider-path path
- -propquery propq
- See "Provider Options" in openssl(1), provider(7), and property(7).
- algorithm ...
- If any algorithm is given, then those algorithms are tested, otherwise a pre-compiled grand selection is tested.
The algorithm can be selected only from a pre-compiled subset of things that the "openssl speed" command knows about. To test any additional digest or cipher algorithm supported by OpenSSL use the "-evp" option.
There is no way to test the speed of any additional public key algorithms supported by third party providers with the "openssl speed" command.
The -engine option was deprecated in OpenSSL 3.0.
Copyright 2000-2022 The OpenSSL Project Authors. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the Apache License 2.0 (the "License"). You may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can obtain a copy in the file LICENSE in the source distribution or at https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html.