openssl-engine - load and query engines
openssl engine [-help] [-v] [-vv] [-vvv] [-vvvv] [-c] [-t] [-tt] [-pre command] ... [-post command] ... [engine ...]
This command has been deprecated. Providers should be used instead of engines.
This command is used to query the status and capabilities of the specified engines. Engines may be specified before and after all other command-line flags. Only those specified are queried.
- Display an option summary.
- -v -vv -vvv -vvvv
- Provides information about each specified engine. The first flag lists all the possible run-time control commands; the second adds a description of each command; the third adds the input flags, and the final option adds the internal input flags.
- Lists the capabilities of each engine.
- Tests if each specified engine is available, and displays the answer.
- Displays an error trace for any unavailable engine.
- -pre command
- -post command
- Command-line configuration of engines. The -pre command is given to
the engine before it is loaded and the -post command is given after
the engine is loaded. The command is of the form
cmd:val where cmd is the command, and val is
the value for the command. See the example below.
These two options are cumulative, so they may be given more than once in the same command.
To list all the commands available to a dynamic engine:
$ openssl engine -t -tt -vvvv dynamic (dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support [ unavailable ] SO_PATH: Specifies the path to the new ENGINE shared library (input flags): STRING NO_VCHECK: Specifies to continue even if version checking fails (boolean) (input flags): NUMERIC ID: Specifies an ENGINE id name for loading (input flags): STRING LIST_ADD: Whether to add a loaded ENGINE to the internal list (0=no,1=yes,2=mandatory) (input flags): NUMERIC DIR_LOAD: Specifies whether to load from 'DIR_ADD' directories (0=no,1=yes,2=mandatory) (input flags): NUMERIC DIR_ADD: Adds a directory from which ENGINEs can be loaded (input flags): STRING LOAD: Load up the ENGINE specified by other settings (input flags): NO_INPUT
To list the capabilities of the rsax engine:
$ openssl engine -c (rsax) RSAX engine support [RSA] (dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
- The path to the engines directory.
This command was deprecated in OpenSSL 3.0.
Copyright 2016-2020 The OpenSSL Project Authors. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the Apache License 2.0 (the "License"). You may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can obtain a copy in the file LICENSE in the source distribution or at https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html.