unknownpleasures - a waterfall graph of the signal from pulsar PSR B1919+21.
unknownpleasures [-display host:display.screen] [-visual visual] [-window] [-root] [-delay number] [-count number] [-speed number] [-resolution number] [-amplitude number] [-noise number] [-mask file] [-no-ortho] [-buzz] [-wireframe] [-fps]
PSR B1919+21 (AKA CP 1919) was the first pulsar ever discovered: a spinning neutron star emitting a periodic lighthouse-like beacon. An illustration of the signal received from it was published in Scientific American in 1971, and later in The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Astronomy in 1977, where it was seen by Stephen Morris, the drummer of Joy Division, and was consequently appropriated by Peter Saville for the cover of the band's album "Unknown Pleasures".
- -visual visual
- Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual.
- Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default.
- Draw on the root window.
- -delay number
- Per-frame delay, in microseconds. Default: 30000 (0.03 seconds).
- -speed number
- Animation speed. 2 for twice as fast, 0.5 for half as fast.
- -count number
- Scanlines (vertical resolution). Default: 80.
- -resolution number
- Horizontal Resolution, Default: 100.
- -amplitude number
- Height of the waves, 0 - 1.0. Default: 0.13.
- -noise number
- How noisy the signal is. 2 for twice as noisy, 0.5 for half as noisy.
- -mask file
- Use the given image file as a clipping mask against the data. A high contrast image of around 256x256 works best. Signal peaks appear in the dark areas.
- -ortho | -no-ortho
- Whether to use an orthographic projection.
- -buzz | -no-buzz
- Whether each line should seethe with noise.
- -wireframe | -no-wireframe
- Render in wireframe instead of solid.
- -fps | -no-fps
- Whether to show a frames-per-second display at the bottom of the screen.
Copyright © 2013-2018 by Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
|6.04 (29-May-2022)||X Version 11|