guestfs-release-notes - libguestfs Release Notes
These release notes only cover the differences from the previous stable/dev branch split (1.16.0). For detailed changelogs, please see the git repository, or the ChangeLog file distributed in the tarball.
- virt-sysprep has been rewritten and expanded (thanks Wanlong Gao) http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html - virt-sparsify --zero is a new option that zeroes the named partition or filesystem - virt-sparsify can now safely sparsify Linux swap partitions - virt-sparsify fixed so it cleans up after ^C http://libguestfs.org/virt-sparsify.1.html - a new tool 'libguestfs-make-fixed-appliance' is provided to build fixed appliances that can be copied to other machines that don't have febootstrap support http://libguestfs.org/libguestfs-make-fixed-appliance.1.html - virt-filesystems now displays the parents (containers) of MD devices and volume groups - virt-alignment-scan, run with no args, displays alignment information for all libvirt domains - virt-df and virt-alignment-scan will display information from all guests even when a disk is inaccessible - virt-rescue new --scratch option to make scratch disks https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/virt-rescue-scratch/#content - virt-make-fs can now be used to create btrfs - virt-edit preserves permissions, UID, GID and SELinux context when editing files - guestfish passes the close event over stdout and remote correctly - guestfish new '--pipe-error' option lets you detect errors in pipe commands - guestfish globs now expand device names - comma and colon characters in filenames now handled correctly by all virt tools
- added support for Fedora 17+ - added support for FreeDOS - added support for Buildroot and Cirros - inspection is now compatible with Windows guests that have been sysprepped (thanks Grant Williamson).
- broad support for btrfs added, including adding multiple devices, fsck, snapshots (thanks Wanlong Gao) - the new 'mount-local' API brings FUSE support directly into the core libguestfs API https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/tip-using-mount-local-api-from-c/#content - new man page: guestfs-performance(1), which contains performance tuning tips http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-performance.1.html - new man page: guestfs-faq(1), Frequently Asked Questions http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html - ENOTSUP (from guestfs_last_errno) is now returned for APIs that are not supported
- 'copy_over' example showing how to copy between two handles - 'display_icon' program displays the icon associated with a guest - 'mount_local.c' example shows how to use the mount-local API
(no security problems were found or fixed in this release)
btrfs-device-add: Add devices to a btrfs filesystem. btrfs-device-delete: Remove devices from a btrfs filesystem. btrfs-filesystem-sync: Sync a btrfs filesystem. btrfs-filesystem-balance: Balance a btrfs filesystem. btrfs-fsck: Check btrfs filesystem. btrfs-set-seeding: Enable or disable seeding. btrfs-subvolume-create: Create a btrfs snapshot. btrfs-subvolume-delete: Delete a btrfs snapshot. btrfs-subvolume-list: List btrfs snapshots and subvolumes. btrfs-subvolume-set-default: Set default btrfs subvolume. btrfs-subvolume-snapshot: Create a writable btrfs snapshot. get-e2attrs: List ext2 file attributes of a file. get-e2generation: Get ext2 file generation of a file. isoinfo, isoinfo-device: Get information from the header of ISO files. llz: List files with SELinux information. lvcreate-free: Create an LVM logical volume in % remaining free space. md-stat: Return underlying devices from an MD device. mkfs-brtfs: Make btrfs filesystem, with all tunables. mount-local, mount-local-run, umount-local: FUSE support in the API. ntfsclone-in, ntfsclone-out: Save, restore NTFS from backup. ntfsfix: Fix common errors and force Windows to check NTFS. set-e2attrs: Set or clear ext2 file attributes of a file. set-e2generation: Set ext2 file generation of a file. set-label: Unified interface for setting filesystem label. vgmeta: Get volume group metadata. wipefs: Wipe filesystem signatures from a device. zero-free-space: Zero free space in a filesystem.
- The debian/ subdirectory has been removed. We recommend you use the official Debian packages made by Hilko Bengen. http://people.debian.org/~bengen/libguestfs/ http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libguestfs - O_CLOEXEC / SOCK_CLOEXEC is now used for almost all file descriptors that the library opens. - posix_fadvise is called when sequentially reading or writing large files. - close all file descriptors and remove all signal handlers in the recovery process - multiple gcc warnings and Coverity bugs have been fixed; many strict-overflow bugs have also been fixed - use ./configure --enable-valgrind-daemon to use valgrind on the daemon; many errors have been fixed - use ./configure --with-qemu-options to pass extra options to qemu - the daemon now has a growable strings buffer type (DECLARE_STRINGSBUF) - the <guestfs.h> header file works with C++ and we have a regression test for this - multiple APIs which should only be called in the CONFIG state now give an error if they are not - .gitignore fixed to use absolute paths - gobject bindings have been expanded, including mapping libguestfs events to gobject signals (thanks Matt Booth) - gobject documentation is generated properly (thanks Matt Booth) - gobject header files now live in a subdirectory - CompareWithString test in the generator now works - FUInt32, FUInt64 struct field types now use the correct XDR type - OCaml tests are now run on bytecode and native code. - java -Xlint:all is used, and all warnings have been fixed - bmptopng, wrestool (etc) missing or failure no longer prints warning messages - ruby: Use RbConfig instead of Config. - PYTHONPATH is set by the ./run script. - appliance building is now thread-safe. - appliance now uses 'ip' instead of 'ifconfig' and 'netstat' commands - several fixes to make parallel builds work properly - guestfish --listen now cleans up properly - the BUSY state has been removed - gettextize has been removed, replaced by a simple Makefile.am - gettext support now covers virt-resize, virt-sparsify and virt-sysprep - better support for the arm architecture
- 822490 virt-ls error: "libguestfs: error: checksum: path: parameter cannot be NULL" - 816839 data overflow error when debug progress -1 - 816098 virt-make-fs fails to make a btrfs filesystem because it doesn't allocate enough space - 811872 inspection fails on ubuntu 10.04 guest with encrypted swap - 811650 guestfs_last_error not set when qemu fails early during launch - 811649 libguestfs cannot open disk images which are symlinks to files that contain ':' (colon) character - 811117 [RFE][virt-sysprep] net-hwaddr not removed from "ifcfg-*" files on rhel - 811112 [RFE][virt-sysprep] hostname can not be changed on rhel system - 809361 inspection doesn't recognize Fedora 18 (grub2 + GPT) - 807905 mkfs blocksize option breaks when creating btrfs - 805070 virt-filesystems should show 'parents' of LV and RAID devices - 804464 libguestfs cannot be built when LINGUAS is different then ja or uk - 803664 libguestfs inspection fails on Windows XP: libguestfs: error: hivex: could not locate HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices - 803533 guestfish: write error - 802389 event handlers for 'close' event doesn't work in remote mode - 802109 libguestfs uses putc on stderr, results in many individual 1 byte writes of debug messages - 801640 [RFE] the error reported by resize2fs-M need to be more clear - 801298 Possible null dereference and resource leaks - 801273 Document for set-pgroup need to be updated - 798196 virt-resize confuses format and output_format variables; using --output-format sets the input format - 797986 virt-resize on Windows XP in sysprep state causes "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" BSOD - 796520 [RFE] Prevent user from running some appliance configure commands after appliance boot up - 790721 multiprovider build error: RuntimeError: link: /tmp/.guestfs-0/kernel /tmp/.guestfs-0/kernel.10139: File exists - 789960 guestfsd crash when try to mount non-exist disk - 789504 virt-df (other tools?) should not give up if a guest disk is missing - 788641 virt-edit doesn't preserve file permissions - 786215 libguestfs inspection does not recognize FreeDOS operating system - 786188 libguestfs inspection does not recognize FreeDOS install CD - 785668 aug-defnode: daemon crash - 784647 Libguestfs uses deprecated net-tools - 769304 virt-resize on RHEL 6 kernel fails to re-read the partition table - 755729 Error message for resize2fs-M needs tweaking - 701814 virt-win-reg fails on a libvirt guest that has no defined disk format: "format parameter is empty or contains disallowed characters" - 679737 libguestfs: improve error message when zerofree is not available in the appliance - 635971 glob mkfs ext2 /dev/vd[b-t]1 does not expand
Richard W.M. Jones
Copyright (C) 2009-2023 Red Hat Inc.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
When reporting a bug, please supply:
- The version of libguestfs.
- Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc)
- Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it.
- Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report.