acquires data in the EWF format
ewfacquire is a utility to acquire media
data from a source and store it in EWF format (Expert
Witness Compression Format).
media data in a format equivalent to EnCase and FTK imager, including meta
data. Under Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, MacOS-X/Darwin
ewfacquire supports reading directly from device
files. On other platforms
ewfacquire can convert a
raw (dd) image into the EWF format.
ewfacquire is part of the
libewf is a
library to access the Expert Witness Compression Format (EWF).
source the source file(s) or device
The options are as follows:
- the codepage of header section, options: ascii (default), windows-874, windows-932, windows-936, windows-949, windows-950, windows-1250, windows-1251, windows-1252, windows-1253, windows-1254, windows-1255, windows-1256, windows-1257 or windows-1258
- the number of sectors to read at once (per chunk), options: 16, 32, 64 (default), 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384 or 32768
- the number of bytes to acquire
- specify the compression values as: level or method:level compression method options: deflate (default), bzip2 (bzip2 is only supported by EWF2 formats) compression level options: none (default), empty-block, fast or best
- the case number (default is case_number)
- calculate additional digest (hash) types besides md5, options: sha1, sha256
- the description (default is description)
- the examiner name (default is examiner_name)
- the evidence number (default is evidence_number)
- the EWF file format to write to, options: ewf, smart, ftk, encase1, encase2, encase3, encase4, encase5, encase6 (default), encase7, linen5, linen6, linen7, ewfx.
- the number of sectors to be used as error granularity
- shows this help
- logs acquiry errors and the digest (hash) to the log filename
- the media type, options: fixed (default), removable, optical, memory
- the media flags, options: logical, physical (default)
- the notes (default is notes)
- the offset to start to acquire (default is 0)
- the process buffer size (default is the chunk size)
- the number of bytes per sector (default is 512) (use this to override the automatic bytes per sector detection)
- quiet shows minimal status information
- the number of retries when a read error occurs (default is 2)
- resume acquiry at a safe point
- swap byte pairs of the media data (from AB to BA) (use this for big to little endian conversion and vice versa)
- the segment file size in bytes (default is 1.4 GiB) (minimum is 1.0 MiB, maximum is 7.9 EiB for encase6 and encase7 format and 1.9 GiB for other formats)
- the target file (without extension) to write to (default is image)
- specify the file containing the table of contents (TOC) of an optical disc. The TOC file must be in the CUE format.
- unattended mode (disables user interaction)
- verbose output to stderr
- print version
- zero sectors on read error (mimic EnCase like behavior)
- use the chunk data instead of the buffered read and write functions.
- the secondary target file (without extension) to write to
ewfacquire will read from a file or device
until it encounters a read error. On read error it will retry the number of
retries specified. If
ewfacquire still is unable to
read and, if specified, it will zero (wipe) the the remainder of the number
of sectors specified as error granularity. If
ewfacquire should mimic EnCase it will zero all of
sectors specified as error granularity.
Empty block compression detects blocks of sectors with entirely the same byte data and compresses them using the default compression level.
The encase6 and encase7 format allows for segment files greater than 2 GiB (2147483648 bytes).
ewfacquire can either image devices,
(split) RAW image file(s) or optical disc (split) RAW image files.
ewfacquire will try to detect device information,
but results may vary per platform. In attended mode (default)
ewfacquire will ask for the information it
# ewfacquire /dev/fd0 ewfacquire 20120805 Device information: Bus type: Vendor: Y-E DATA Model: USB-FDU Serial: Storage media information: Type: Device Media size: 1.4 MB (1474560 bytes) Bytes per sector: 512 Information about acquiry required, please provide the necessary input Image path and filename without extension: floppy Case number: 1 Description: Floppy Evidence number: 1.1 Examiner name: John D. Notes: Just a floppy in my system Media type (fixed, removable, optical, memory) [fixed]: removable Media characteristics (logical, physical) [logical]: Use EWF file format (smart, ftk, encase1, encase2, encase3, encase4, encase5, encase6, encase7, linen5, linen6, linen7, ewfx) [encase6]: encase5 Compression method (deflate) [deflate]: Compression level (none, empty-block, fast, best) [none]: Start to acquire at offset (0 <= value <= 1474560) : The number of bytes to acquire (0 <= value <= 1474560) : Evidence segment file size in bytes (1.0 MiB <= value <= 1.9 GiB) [1.4 GiB]: The number of bytes per sector (1 <= value <= 4294967295) : The number of sectors to read at once (16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768) : The number of sectors to be used as error granularity (1 <= value <= 64) : The number of retries when a read error occurs (0 <= value <= 255) : Zero sectors on read error (mimic EnCase like behavior) (yes, no) [no]: The following information was provided: Image path and filename: floppy.E01 Case number: 1 Description: Floppy Evidence number: 1.1 Examiner name: John D. Notes: Just a floppy in my system Media type: removable Is physical: no EWF file format: Encase 5 (.E01) Compression method: deflate Compression level: none Acquiry start offset: 0 Number of bytes to acquire: 1.4 MiB (1474560 bytes) Evidence segment file size: 1.4 GiB (1572864000 bytes) Bytes per sector: 512 Block size: 64 sectors Error granularity: 64 sectors Retries on read error: 2 Zero sectors on read error: no Continue acquiry with these values (yes, no) [yes]: Acquiry started at: Sun Aug 5 11:32:41 2012 This could take a while. Status: at 2%. acquired 32 kB (32768 bytes) of total 1.4 MiB (1474560 bytes).
# ewfacquire usb256.raw.0?? ewfacquire 20120805 Storage media information: Type: RAW image Media size: 262 MB (262144000 bytes) Bytes per sector: 512
# ewfacquire -T cdrom.cue cdrom.iso ewfacquire 20120805 Storage media information: Type: Optical disc RAW image Media size: 42 MB (42885120 bytes) Bytes per sector: 2048 Sessions: total number: 2 at sector(s): 0 - 20619 number: 20620 at sector(s): 20620 - 20939 number: 320
Errors, verbose and debug output are printed to stderr when verbose output -v is enabled. Verbose and debug output are only printed when enabled at compilation.
Please report bugs of any kind to <email@example.com> or on the project website: http://code.google.com/p/libewf/
These man pages were written by Kees Mastwijk.
Alterations for distribution have been made by Joachim Metz.
Copyright 2006-2014, Joachim Metz <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
|January 19, 2014||libewf|