|PERLAMIGA(1perl)||Perl Programmers Reference Guide||PERLAMIGA(1perl)|
newlib.library version 53.28 or greater is required.
sh -c "perldoc perlamiga"
or you may read as is: either as README.amiga, or pod/perlamiga.pod.
- AmigaOS 4.1 update 6 with all updates applied as of 9th October 2013
- The most important of which is:
- newlib.library version 53.28 or greater
- AmigaOS SDK
- Perl installs into the SDK directory structure and expects many of the build tools present in the SDK to be available. So for the best results install the SDK first.
- If you do not have the SDK installed you must at least have abc-shell installed or some other suitable sh port. This is required to run external commands and should be available as 'sh' in your path.
New Shell process 10 10.AmigaOS4:> sh /AmigaOS4>perl path:to/myprog arg1 arrg2 arg3
Abc-shell can also launch programs via the #! syntax at the start of the program file, it's best use the form #!SDK:Local/C/perl so that the AmigaOS shell may also find perl in the same way. AmigaOS requires the script bit to be set for this to work
10.AmigaOS4:> sh /AmigaOS4>myprog arg1 arrg2 arg3
- Nested Piped programs can crash when run from older abc-shells
- abc-shell version 53.2 has a bug that can cause crashes in the subprocesses used to run piped programs, if a later version is available you should install it instead.
- Incorrect or unexpected command line unescaping
- newlib.library 53.30 and earlier incorrectly unescape slashed escape sequences e.g. \" \n \t etc requiring unusual extra escaping.
- Starting subprocesses via open has limitations
open FH, "command |"
Subprocesses started with open use a minimal popen() routine and therefore they do not return pids usable with waitpid etc.
- If you find any other limitations or bugs then let me know.
- Please report bugs in this version of perl to firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Unpack the main archive to a temporary location (RAM: is fine).
Execute the provided install script from shell or via its icon.
You must not attempt to install by hand.
Once installed you may delete the temporary archive.
This approach will preserve links in the installation without creating duplicate binaries.
If you have the earlier ports perl 5.16 or 5.8 installed you may like to rename your perl executable to perl516 or perl58 or something similar before the installation of 5.22.1, this will allow you to use both versions at the same time.
Try "perldoc Amiga::ARexx" for more info.
Try "perldoc Amiga::Exec" for more info.
With the help of Jarkko Hietaniemi the Configure system has been tweaked to run under abc-shell so the recommend build process is as follows.
stack 2000000 sh Configure -de gmake
This will build the default setup that installs under SDK:local/newlib/lib/
- August 2015
- Port to Perl 5.22
- Add handling of NIL: to afstat()
- Fix inheritance of environment variables by subprocesses.
- Fix exec, and exit in "forked" subprocesses.
- Fix issue with newlib's unlink, which could cause infinite loops.
- Add flock() emulation using IDOS->LockRecord thanks to Tony Cook for the suggestion.
- Fix issue where kill was using the wrong kind of process ID
- 27th November 2013
- Create new installation system based on installperl links and Amiga protection bits now set correctly.
- Pod now defaults to text.
- File::Spec should now recognise an Amiga style absolute path as well as an Unix style one. Relative paths must always be Unix style.
- 20th November 2013
- Configured to use SDK:Local/C/perl to start standard scripts
- Added Amiga::Exec module with support for Wait() and AmigaOS signal numbers.
- 10th October 13
- First release of port to 5.16.3.