EVP_KDF-PBKDF1 - The PBKDF1 EVP_KDF implementation
Support for computing the PBKDF1 password-based KDF through the EVP_KDF API.
The EVP_KDF-PBKDF1 algorithm implements the PBKDF1 password-based key derivation function, as described in RFC 8018; it derives a key from a password using a salt and iteration count.
"PBKDF1" is the name for this implementation; it can be used with the EVP_KDF_fetch() function.
The supported parameters are:
- "pass" (OSSL_KDF_PARAM_PASSWORD) <octet string>
- "salt" (OSSL_KDF_PARAM_SALT) <octet string>
- "iter" (OSSL_KDF_PARAM_ITER) <unsigned integer>
- This parameter has a default value of 0 and should be set.
- "properties" (OSSL_KDF_PARAM_PROPERTIES) <UTF8 string>
- "digest" (OSSL_KDF_PARAM_DIGEST) <UTF8 string>
- These parameters work as described in "PARAMETERS" in EVP_KDF(3).
A typical application of this algorithm is to derive keying material for an encryption algorithm from a password in the "pass", a salt in "salt", and an iteration count.
Increasing the "iter" parameter slows down the algorithm which makes it harder for an attacker to perform a brute force attack using a large number of candidate passwords.
No assumption is made regarding the given password; it is simply treated as a byte sequence.
This functionality was added to OpenSSL 3.0.
Copyright 2021 The OpenSSL Project Authors. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the Apache License 2.0 (the "License"). You may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can obtain a copy in the file LICENSE in the source distribution or at https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html.