guestfs-release-notes - libguestfs Release Notes
RELEASE NOTES FOR LIBGUESTFS 1.10
These release notes only cover the differences from the previous stable/dev branch split (1.8.0). For detailed changelogs, please see the git repository, or the ChangeLog file distributed in the tarball.
- libguestfs and tools can be used against live virtual machines. See the 'guestfish --live' and 'guestmount --live' options, and (for the low-level interface) the new APIs set-attach-method and get-attach-method. - New virt tools: virt-copy-in, virt-copy-out, virt-tar-in, virt-tar-out. - libguestfs can get the drive letter mappings for Windows guests. - virt-inspector displays drive letter mappings for Windows guests. - Drive letters can now be used in virt-edit and guestfish programs when operating on Windows guests. - virt-resize now works on 32 bit hosts. - You can now inspect the install disks and live CDs of many different operating systems. - guestfish <! cmd which executes a shell cmd and inlines the result. - guestfish, guestmount, virt-rescue now all support --ro and --rw options, and the default for this can be chosen via a configuration file (/etc/libguestfs-tools.conf). - New event API allows more than one callback to be registered for each event, makes it possible to call the API from other languages, and allows nearly all log, debug and trace messages to be rerouted from stderr. - Greater FHS compliance for temporary files, including using /var/tmp for large cached files that should survive reboot (instead of /tmp). - guestfish, guestmount -m option allows mount options to be passed through to the underlying filesystem. - mkfs-opts allows filesystem features to be specified. - More intelligent handling of mountpoints, allowing mkmountpoint, mount and umount-all commands to work together properly. - Trace messages are prefixed with a distinct string, allowing them to be easily 'grepped' out from debug output. - guestfs_launch (guestfish 'run' command) now produces progress messages (a guestfish progress bar) if it takes longer than 5 seconds to run. - Several long-running commands where we are unable to estimate time to completion generate "pulse mode" progress events. Progress bar in guestfish has been updated to display these. - Publish new example code in: C, Perl, Python, OCaml, Ruby. - New virt-dhcp-address example program. - The Java and Ruby bindings have been improved greatly. - Perl includes a way to get the errno of the last error. - Python bindings now compatible with rpyc (thanks Erez Shinan). - Transifex is now being used to manage translations. http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/libguestfs/ - Inspection now supports Red Hat Desktop, Slackware distributions. - Inspection no longer fails for Windows guests that have two or more disks. - Inspection can now tell the difference between Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7. - Inspection can detect 32 bit applications installed in 64 bit Windows, running on the WOW64 emulator. - A series of protocol fixes has fixed the old bug RHBZ#576879 which used to cause errors during the upload command to lose protocol synchronization. - New logo!
first-private, get-attach-method, inspect-get-drive-mappings, inspect-get-product-variant, inspect-get-windows-current-control-set, next-private, resize2fs-M, set-attach-method.
- The 'HACKING' file is obsolete. The contents have been moved into a section of the guestfs(3) manual page. - libguestfs-test-tool simplified. It no longer needs the static binary or tries to construct an ISO. - rpcgen-generated files are compiled with -fno-strict-aliasing which should be safer (thanks Matt Booth). - virt-resize was rewritten in OCaml. - guestfish and other tools tested with valgrind; some memory leaks were fixed.
- 502533 Updated Polish translation of libguestfs - 576879 libguestfs protocol loses synchronization if you 'upload' before mounting disks - 599503 document that mkmountpoint and umount-all cannot be mixed - 617440 guestfish: fails to tilde expand '~' when the $HOME env is unset - 664558 RFE: Allow to set log callback in Ruby bindings - 665358 Punjabi Translation Completed (pa_IN) - 666577 libguestfs: unknown filesystem /dev/fd0 - 667610 Multiple bugs, memory leaks in libguestfs ruby bindings - 668112 virt-filesystems command fails on guest with corrupt filesystem label - 668574 guestfish -i is trying to mount all mounts from /etc/fstab and fails with an error when device doesn't exists - 673479 Add a grep-friendly string to LIBGUESTFS_TRACE output - 674130 Inspection code fails for Windows guest with two disks - 682756 libguestfs trace segfaults when list-filesystems returns error - 682979 libguestfs incorrectly detects Red Hat desktop as 'redhat-based' instead of 'redhat' - 690819 mkfs fails creating a filesystem on a disk device when using a disk with 'ide' interface - 691389 Extended attributes don't work over guestmount (FUSE) - 691724 virt-inspector reports unknown filesystem /dev/vda1 - 692545 inspect-list-applications fails to detect 32 bit apps installed under WOW64 emulator on 64 bit Windows - 693324 sfdisk's python interface only accepts lists of type 'list' for the lines parameter
guestfs-examples(1), guestfs-faq(1), guestfs-performance(1), guestfs-recipes(1), guestfs-testing(1), guestfs(3), guestfish(1), http://libguestfs.org/
Richard W.M. Jones
Copyright (C) 2009-2020 Red Hat Inc.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
When reporting a bug, please supply:
- The version of libguestfs.
- Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc)
- Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it.
- Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report.